Tuesday 27 November 2012

わたしは___です。

This blog assumes you already know katakana and hiragana. Romaji is often unhelpful for learning so I suggest kana is one of the first things you learn in Japanese. Since we are studying together, feel free to correct me; I'm learning too! Check my resources page for learning katakana and hiragana.

The first thing you probably want to do in Japanese is to introduce yourself, so let's start with that.

はじめまして。This means, pleased to meet you. It is a typical Japanese greeting you will use when meeting someone for the first time.

The next thing you will want to do is tell someone your name. So this is the first basic sentence we will learn. わたしサリーです。

わたし means 'I' or 'me.' 
は is a 'particle.' This shows the audience what the topic of the sentence is. It is called the 'topic marker.' 
サリー this is my name in Japanese! All foreign names will be spelt with katakana. 
です。This means 'to be.' It makes the sentence polite. You will hear it often in Japanese sentences. 

わたしはサリーです。I am Sally.

And finally, we will add.

よろしくおねがいしますThis doesn't have a literal english meaning, but it's a polite phrase that means 'let's be kind to one another from now on.'

So now, you can introduce yourself in Japanese. Great!

サリー

No comments:

Post a Comment